Bike Santa Cruz County promotes biking in Santa Cruz County through advocacy, education and community building. We work to improve conditions for cyclists through advocacy campaigns, help build bike culture through our youth program, Green Ways to School, and host a variety of fun bike events throughout the year. We are a small, dynamic team, and we’re looking for the right person to help us grow and expand our reach.
Hours: Full Time. Flexible schedule including some evening and weekend work.
Salary: $16-$20/hour to start. Plus vacation/sick leave and health insurance stipend.
Bike Santa Cruz County seeks an experienced membership and event coordinator with a passion for active transportation to engage and grow our membership through community events and programs. This includes planning established large events such as Run by the Sea, Open Streets Santa Cruz, and Bike Santa Cruz County’s Annual Dinner, and smaller events such as Kids Bike Parties and our annual member meeting. This position will also be responsible for managing our membership program, including recruiting new individual and business members. The ideal candidate will be able to balance multiple projects independently and manage event growth and development, as well as initiating new events to help us meet our community engagement goals.
I. Engage membership and the community by producing and managing successful, profitable events (60%)
- Manage production of established events including Open Streets Santa Cruz, Run by the Sea, Annual Dinner, Kids Bike Party (2-3 annually) and Member Meetings (2 annually)
- Review and adapt event timelines and complete tasks on schedule
- Meet event sponsorship goals and build sponsor relationships over time
- Manage and stay within prescribed event budget
- Recruit and manage volunteers to assist with each event
- Manage and build relationships with partner organizations involved in each event
- Work collaboratively with Bike Santa Cruz staff and report regularly to Director & Board
- Attend monthly Steering Committee meetings
- Coordinate with Bike Santa Cruz Director to promote and publicize events
- Propose ideas to improve efficiency and event quality
- Propose ideas for new events to grow and foster the Santa Cruz County bike community
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations
- Proactively handle challenges and troubleshoot problems
- Conduct pre- and post – event evaluations and report on outcomes
II. Grow BSCC membership of individuals and businesses (30%)
- Regularly meet with members
- Table at community events to meet and recruit new members
- Meet and recruit new business members
- Grow BSCC business sponsorship program
- Manage membership database and ensure high rates of member renewal
III. Other projects and administrative tasks as assigned (10%)
- Proven event management experience
- Excellent time management, organizational and written and oral communication skills
- Impressive portfolio of previously managed events
- Experience with volunteer coordination
- Sales skills and ability to build productive business relationships
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently
- Passion for biking and active transportation
- MS Office proficiency
- Spanish language skills preferred
Submit the following by email to email@example.com by April 12th.
- Cover letter with reasons for applying
- Resume including past event coordination experience
- Three professional references
No phone calls please. We will contact you to set up interviews.