Bike Santa Cruz County promotes bicycling in Santa Cruz County through advocacy, education and community building. We advocate for improved conditions for bicyclists, and help build bicycle culture through our youth program, Green Ways to School, and by hosting a variety of events throughout the year. We are seeking a visionary Executive Director (ED) with the ability to increase our impact and expand our reach as we strive to make Santa Cruz an even better county for bicycling. Our ED will help Bike Santa Cruz achieve our goals and administer our programs; inspire, support, and oversee staff; and further develop our membership base and our relationships within the broader community.
About Bike Santa Cruz County
Since its founding in 1991, Bike Santa Cruz (previously known as People Power) has worked to improve conditions for bicycling in Santa Cruz County. Our accomplishments include significant improvements to bicycling infrastructure in our county, including a decades-long campaign for the purchase of the Santa Cruz Branch rail line, future home of the Coastal Rail Trail. Our top advocacy priority for the coming years is the construction of the 32-mile Coastal Rail Trail, with the first segments of the multi-use trail scheduled for completion in 2018. As an organization, Bike Santa Cruz has experienced tremendous growth in the last 4 years including a five-fold increase in our budget and the hiring of new staff.
Bike Santa Cruz County seeks an experienced, collaborative and politically savvy bicycle advocate to direct this vibrant and growing organization. The ED is responsible for general management of the organization and reports on the organization's progress to the Board of Directors at monthly meetings.
The ED shall:
• manage and empower staff, interns, volunteers, and contractors
• work closely with the Board of Directors and various Board committees
• advocate for bicycle improvements and program priorities with local government staff and elected officials
• administer a growing budget
• ensure that BSCC fundraising, membership, and advocacy goals are met
• generate content for quarterly newsletter and member action alerts
Ideal Experience and Capabilities
• passion for bicycling and community building, with a deep commitment to Bike Santa Cruz’s mission
• successful advocacy in the field of transportation or a related field
• experience managing staff and volunteers
• leadership experience in a membership organization
• excellent organizational and communication skills
• proven track record of successful fundraising
• ability to work collaboratively with others including board, staff, and representatives
of the community and partner organizations
• ability to work effectively with elected officials and public-sector employees
• experience with volunteer engagement and coordination
• skillful in setting and following priorities while receiving input from a broad range of stakeholders and multiple competing interests
• ability to maintain composure in challenging situations
• knowledge of and experience with financial management, budgeting and reporting
• availability to work occasional nights and weekends
• proficiency in MS Office, Mail Chimp, website tools (and/or willingness to learn)
• familiarity with Santa Cruz County politics and government a plus
This is a salaried, full-time position. Starting pay is $41,600 – $50,000 depending on experience. Position includes vacation, sick leave, and health insurance stipend.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should specifically address the experience and capabilities identified above and why you think you would be perfect for this job. Please include “Executive Director – YOUR NAME” in the subject line, and please mention how you found out about the position.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.